The human body is an incredible thing, and women get a special perspective here. As the ones who have babies, we experience first-hand the incredible transformations the body can experience, as well as the extreme effort it can put forth. However, as we get older and menopause sets in, we experience other transformations that not only negatively impact our sex lives; they can lead to incontinence, hot flashes, mood swings, and overall low self-esteem. These changes can also be brought on by pregnancy, breast cancer treatment, or other dramatic changes in your hormonal systems. We can all agree that this is a transformation we could do without!
You Have Options
Women’s sexual health products have a greater and greater presence, which is good news for us. These products are designed to tend to the health of the vagina, and some of the most popular are non-invasive vaginal rejuvenation treatments.
What is vaginal rejuvenation?
This is a term that is thrown around a lot. In the past, it has specifically referred to surgical procedures done on the female genitals, but we are happy to say it has expanded beyond those dramatic solutions. Today, you have access to non-invasive, non-surgical, and non-hormonal treatments that can improve the elasticity, lubrication, and appearance of the vagina and vulva.
Two of the most popular treatments today are the MonaLisa Touch® and ThermiVA®. The MonaLisa Touch is older with more proven results, and while ThermiVA offers some interesting benefits, it still has a lot of ground to cover. In today’s blog, we want to compare and contrast these two treatments and show why the MonaLisa Touch is ultimately your best option.
MonaLisa Touch® vs. ThermiVA®
Before we dive into the differences, let’s look at the similarities. Both the MonaLisa Touch and ThermiVA:
- Use energy to promote both collagen growth and blood flow
- Involve a wand inserted into the vagina
- Don’t require anesthesia
- Have a treatment time of about five minutes
- Require multiple appointments and maintenance
All of these facts make the MonaLisa Touch and ThermiVA highly desirable alternatives to painful surgeries with long recovery times and high risk factors. The key is determining which of these revolutionary treatments is the best use of your money because neither worthwhile treatment is covered by insurance at this point.
Why the MonaLisa Touch® is Better
As we dive into the differences, you will see that the MonaLisa Touch is a better solution for you.
- ThermiVA uses a radio device to promote collagen growth and blood flow, while the MonaLisa Touch uses laser energy that creates penetrating heat. The MonaLisa Touch laser is fractionated, which means it affects only enough tissue to solve issues. The MonaLisa Touch offers both fractional ablation and heat, while ThermiVA only offers heat.
- The MonaLisa Touch is mildly uncomfortable and requires patients to refrain from sexual activity for 24 hours after treatment for optimal results. ThermiVA claims to be more comfortable and requires no downtime, but it is very new and its claims cannot be backed — unlike the MonaLisa Touch, which is backed by peer-reviewed studies and 5 years of development.
- Both the MonaLisa Touch and ThermiVA have similar costs, but according to reviews on REALSelf, the MonaLisa Touch is kinder to your pocketbook. MonaLisa Touch treatment costs from $1800 to $3000 for three treatments, while ThermiVA clocks in at $2500 to $3500 for three treatments.
- Because our bodies continue to age, maintenance treatments are required for both the MonaLisa Touch and ThermiVA. However, while you need ThermiVA maintenance treatments every eight to 12 months, the MonaLisa Touch’s dual action is 12 months minimum. It is clearly the more financially-smart option.
- The MonaLisa Touch has 5 years and more than six peer-reviewed studies to its name, while ThermiVA only has “visually” proven results. Unfortunately, before-and-after photos cannot replace scientific proof, which means ThermiVA has a long way to go. The MonaLisa Touch has done its homework and put in the time to prove that it is the very best solution for you.
Turn to Sarasota Cosmetic Gynecology
At our office in Sarasota, we are on a mission to compassionately listen to every woman who walks through our doors, understand what she needs, and then provide exactly that. The longevity of the MonaLisa Touch has made it easy to understand which people it can benefit the most. We want to include a quick overview of the wide variety of conditions that the MonaLisa Touch can relieve here:
- Mild urinary incontinence
- Lactational atrophy
- Vulvar rashes
- Recurrent or chronic vaginal yeast and bacterial infections
- Changes due to postpartum conditions from vaginal and cesarean deliveries
- Vaginal laxity
- Chronic or recurrent urinary tract infections
As you can see, the MonaLisa Touch can bring relief to many different conditions, all without being invasive, painful, or requiring long recovery periods. This is women’s sexual health treatment as it should be: simple, comfortable, and effective. Now, there are a few conditions that the MonaLisa Touch may not be the best option to treat, including:
- An undiagnosed vulvar or vaginal mass
- A history of vaginal surgery that used mesh
When you meet with us, we will be transparent and up-front if the treatment may not be the best option for you. We are here to help you, not to take your money. We understand the pain of an aging or changing body, and we are here to help. Contact us today to get started!